You know how we’ve explained holidays like Rosh Hoshana and Thanksgiving and July 4th and Hanukkah to you? Well, you probably know a little something about Lent seeing as you said you were Catholic at one point in time but I thought it would be fun to give a little explanation and then show you the list of things I came up with for you and us to give up for lent.
SOOOO in a nutshell Lent is the season or 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday. The Tuesday before Ash Wednesday is called Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras which has been made popular by New Orleans and is pretty much the last day to get shit faced and act crazy before 40 days of remembrance. Then on Ash Wednesday most people trek to church to participate in some sort of service and be “crossed” with ashes on their forehead. We then trek back into the real world to scare the crap out of everyone with our freaky ashy black crosses on our foreheads. And here’s a little fun fact those ashes usually come from the previous years palm branches used in Palm Sunday! If you’re hosting a personal Ash Wednesday service and don’t have palm branches you might think about sacrificing one of your ugly old sweaters for the cause. WHOOHOO, isn’t this fun?
Ok, so on Ash Wednesday people usually vow to abstain from something, fast or add something to their routine for 40 days. Usually most people give up stuff like caffeine, red meat, chocolate/sweets, you know everyone else’s version of hot pockets. So I was thinking of stuff you could give up or start doing for 40 days until Easter…
01. 40 days without reading really brainy, weird literature like Independent People… do you think you could do it? I’ll even give you a stack of US Weeklys and the Twilight Saga to get you through. And you never know you may come out a Joan Collins fan after all this. HOLLA!
02. Instead of giving up something how about you add buying a NEW shirt for your wardrobe every week! Crazy, I know but think about it… everytime you buy a new shirt you’ll be celebrating the Lenten season!
03. Write and record a song EVERY DAY of Lent and then release them all to the interwebs!
04. Abstain from reading Rob/Edward fan fiction in your off time. Devote this time instead to WRITING your own fan fiction called “It’s been a Rob day’s night”
05. Give up touching your hair! Is this even possible?
While you’re busing writing and recording music I’ve vowed to get up earlier for the next 40 days. Can we do it? We shall see…
So what else should Rob give up, or add to his life for next 40 days? More Tom Stu? Less mullet?